Things to Consider when Choosing Plus Size Prom Dresses
By Leni Smith
Are you dreading your prom night because you just don’t discern how to select a dress which will not only look fabulous but make you feel fabulous too? Countless plus size prom dresses look fantastic on the hanger, mannequin or model in the catalog, but when you put them on it doesn’t look like the same dress at all. To keep away from this you need to think about your body shape, and what style of dress will flatter your figure best. You may be surprised to know that curvy girls actually have a wide choice of prom dresses to choose from, it’s just about finding the right cut to make the most of your voluptuous figure.
So here are a number of hints, tips and rules to follow to find your perfect dress. If you get this right then you will certainly look and feel like the belle of the ball.
Frequently the major factor in choosing a prom dress is the price, so you begin by looking for cheap plus size prom dresses. Now this is fine, but it is extremely essential that the dress fits properly, and even though the dress may have been bought on sale, it doesn’t have to look like it cost any less than designer plus size evening wear. Inexpensive prom dresses don’t have to look cheap! To get the best prices, it is a good idea to search for your dress well before Prom Season begins.
Before you go shopping either in a store or online make sure that you measure yourself properly. Use a cloth tape to measure your bust, whilst wearing a well fitted bra, around its fullest, also measure your waist, which is about an inch above your navel, and your hips across their widest part. Write down these measurements.
Always select a dress size which fits the largest part of your body. The dress can then be altered and taken in to fit your figure correctly.
Now take a look at yourself in the mirror. What body shape do you have?
If your body carries most of the weight in the middle section, frequently the waist is the largest measurement, make the most of your figure and use the following tips.
- Balance out narrow shoulders with a wrap or shrug and choose prom dresses with horizontal, broadening necklines.
- Take the emphasis away from your tummy and a horizontal girth by choosing an A line or princess silhouette dress.
- Accentuate your shapely legs by choosing a dress with a hem which is higher at the front that at the back, or has a handkerchief style hemline.
- Draw the attention away from your tummy and hips and to the face, shoulder, and neck areas instead. Do this by wearing a piece of interesting jewelry, a pendant, necklace or earrings.
If you have a defined waist but your hips and thighs are considerably larger than your bust, then to select the right dress for you take note of the following tips.
- Choose a dress which will emphasize the middle of your body and waist area, perhaps with a sash or belt.
- A dress which is a lighter color at the top of the body and is dark at the bottom, will help to elongate your body shape.
- Make your upper body appear wider by adding a wrap or shrug. Go for broad horizontal necklines.
- Draw people’s eyes up to the shoulders, face, neck and arms by using jewelry and accessories.
If you have no waistline and your three body measurements are almost the same in size, and then search for plus size formal dresses that will give you shape and define your waist.
- Create the illusion of a smaller, more defined waistline by choosing a dress which has a fitted bodice, or has a sash, belt or something similar around the waist.
- To give the impression that you have feminine curves hiding away, choose an empire line dress, drawing attention to your upper body and allowing the fabric to flow down over your waist and hips.
- To add emphasis to thighs, hips and shapely legs, team a fitted bodice top with a skirt that has godet inserts.
Is your tummy something that you want to draw attention from because you carry most of your weight there? Don’t worry, follow these style tips and you will find some perfect plus size evening dresses that will flatter your figure.
- Wear somebody shaping underwear; this will immediately help to flatten your tummy.
- An empire line dress will draw attention to you upper body and skim over your tummy.
- An A line style dress will also be flattering if you choose one that has a fitted bodice or boning, which will create curves and emphasize your waist.
Most outstandingly have on something that you feel comfy in, if you don’t like to show too much flesh, then go for a modest prom dress with sheer sleeves, or short sleeves. Perhaps you don’t want to wear a full length prom dress, instead look for plus size cocktail dresses, use 1950s style dresses as your inspiration. Add a shrug or shawl to complete the look. For this look choose vintage style prom dresses which feature brocade, perhaps a layer of black lace over jewel tone satins, red, deep blue, green or purple. Find more ideas on plus size prom dresses.